This page has moved to a new address.

Ode to Madeline

The Now: Ode to Madeline

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ode to Madeline

E and I admittedly have a slightly obsessive personalities when it comes to design.  I know for me, once I get my mind on something, I . cannot . stop . thinking . about . it . until "it" (or some lesser-priced variation of "it") is resting comfortably in my home.  When I first started down the path of decorating my townhome, I started putting together inspiration boards about what I wanted to achieve.  There was one consistent theme throughout... the graphic patterns of Madeline Weinrib.  Ever since my beloved Domino Magazine hit the scene in 2005, I've had these gorgeous rugs hitting me in the face. 


Case in point... 
Domino Magazine
House and Home
Domino Magazine
House and Home


So I finally decided to act on my love for MW and book a trip to NYC to visit ABC Carpet & Home (and see my good friend Lauren).  Knowing that I couldn't afford anything in the "real store," I had intentions of making the trek to the ABC Bronx Outlet.  Luckily, at the last minute I caught word that ABC Carpet actually has a basement that sells remnants and select rugs, so I thought I'd check that out.  And trust me, I was NOT disappointed... the basement was filled with stacks and stacks and stacks of MW rugs, many of which were the same as the carpets upstairs.  The only catch is they are all folded up and not organized by size, so I spent over 4 hours digging, lifting, unfolding, refolding, and restacking.  Call me crazy, but this "treasure hunting" is my kind of fun.  I finally settled on MW's Megan rug in a green.  After all, Tinsley Mortimer has this same rug, albeit in a gorgeous Tibetian, but I happily opted for the MUCH more wallet-friendly cotton flatweave.


Tinsley Mortimer's loft, featuring the Megan rug (as seen on High Society)
So I had the option of having the rug shipped (like any normal person would do), but being the design-crazy person I am, I wanted the instant gratification of having the rug "installed" (as my mom would say) the moment I arrived back in the Big D.  So, I had my BFFs at ABC pack up the 8x10 rug, and I made the trek across Manhattan - to Hoboken (where Lauren lives) - to the airport - with the rug as a carry on over 3 Southwest Airlines stops to Dallas, and FINALLY to my home.  


All of this, only to discover that I hated the color of the rug with the paint on my walls.  


Luckily ABC was incredibly friendly about orchestrating an exchange, so my friend and designer Sam Sano picked out the Platinum Ming to replace the Megan...


If you don't like it, don't tell me


Finally, Madeline and I had our happily ever after...


xoxo A

PS.  And as if Madeline's rugs weren't enough, this year she introduced her new line of wallpapers... 
shelterpop.com

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At October 25, 2010 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Liza Schlitt said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! WOW I can't wait to put you to work at my house! :) And FABULOUS blog ladies - wow I am so overwhlemed by your creativity and expertise in design and fashion!! xoxo

 
At November 9, 2010 at 1:52 PM , Blogger thingsthatsparkle said...

is that your dining room?? it is to die for! can we get a whole home tour?

www.thingsthatsparkleblog.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home