This page has moved to a new address.

Velvet Underground Part II... Interior Style

The Now: Velvet Underground Part II... Interior Style

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Velvet Underground Part II... Interior Style

So as I mentioned yesterday, I am seriously addicted to velvet right now, especially for the home.  In the post Elizabeth did about my townhome, you'll see a bench that Sam had reupholstered in a velvet damask pattern that was comprised of animals.  This is arguably one of my FAVORITE elements of my home, and was a catalyst for me to find any other place possible to add in some velvet.  I tossed around the idea of putting deep green velvet drapes in my bedroom, thinking it would give it a glamorous feel, and even found these at Ikea that I loved.  (Note: these panels look terrible on the website, but are amaz in person).  But, I decided that since it's 100+ degrees in Texas 4 months out of the year, having walls covered with velvet drapes is less than appealing.  That said, I've decided to stick to pillows and upholstery for now.  

For fabric selection, I love to gain inspiration from sources like Elle Decor, but more often than not, the items they feature all are "Available to the trade only."  That's basically code for - not going to happen for me.  Case in point...

Courtesy of ElleDecor.com

Lucky for me, my mom is beyond fabulous on the sewing machine, so we often hit up the ghetto Harry Hines fabric stores around Dallas looking for reasonably priced fabric.  Seriously, most of these places don't have air conditioning, but I will do anything for a bargain. 


For those of you wanting more instant gratification, here are some decorative pillow selections I've found around the internet...



  1. Why am I so in love with this Velvet beetle pillow designed by Helene Ige? The pillow itself has a down and feather fill and comes in vibrant jewel-tones. It is accented with a beetle made of gold metallic foil.  Only problem is - I can't figure out where to find it for sale online.  Let me know if you can find it!
  2. These pillows are also a major tease.  I found the most amazing site that has velvet ikat pillows (combining two of my greatest loves), and the site happens to be for a store in France, Maison Ottomane.  I just may have to spring for some cross-Atlantic shipping for that gold and blue tiger-ish print one. Loves it! 
  3. I actually own this Ikea Velvet Pillow Cover, and for $12.99, you should too.  It looks wayyy more expensive than Ikea in person, so I'd highly recommend it.  Not going to lie, it's currently resting in my spare closet, but this post is motivating me to incorporate it into my decor somewhere.  Hold me to it.
  4. How lux are these Adam & Viktoria pillows from Tonic Home?  They come in a multitude of colors and patterns... which to choose?
  5. For something else on the more affordable side of things, Kohl's has recently launched the Elle Decor Home line, which includes this Fuschia velvet decorative pillow.  
Let us know if you're thinking velvet for your home...
xoxo A

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home