This page has moved to a new address.

Man Up

The Now: Man Up

Monday, December 13, 2010

Man Up

So I just got back from a great weekend in Denver where I was visiting my brother and his darling 5 year old son.  Most of the weekend was spent assisting with last-minute errands for his new house that's almost complete.  While he is AMAZING on the architecture front, I did my best to impose a littttttle bit of design influence on him while I was in town.  Being that this is a house where two "boys" live, I had to take off my "glam" hat and think a little more "sophisticated masculine." Oh, but not so manly that my brother's sweet girlfriend won't want to come over and hang out!  After all, I'm NOT looking to help him create a bachelor pad! 

Here are some of my favorite looks I've collected... now all I have to do is get my big brother to listen to me!


Seeing the home of Frank Muytjens - Head of Men's Design at J.Crew - was just one of the MANY thrills in the latest Lonny.  His at-home decor philosophy combines many different design periods & styles to create a sophisticated, livable space.  Brother, if you're reading, take notes!!!!
via Lonny Magazine


I adore this look for a guy's bedroom.  Actually, I'd adore this room for myself.  What a perfect use of a high-impact pattern on the floors - vs. on the walls - to create a very current look. 
Nate Berkus's Chicago Apartment Bedroom, Elle Decor


The neutral color pallette and low-profile sofa reminds me of my brother.  Plus, he's been eyeing a vintage 60's Stressless chair that evokes the same look as Nate's black piece
Nate Berkus's Milan Library, Elle Decor, April 2009


An INCREDIBLE interior by the always fabulous Thom Filicia.  I'm madly in love with this bedroom for a guy!!
via LoftLife Magazine

To me, this bedroom is SO dramatic and sophisticated yet very masculine.  I especially adore the lamps, graphic artwork and bright orange pillow.  Oh, plus the rich charcoal blanket in what appears to be a luxurious velvet.
via the LENOXX


Okay is this not the PERFECT example of a masculine coffee table vignette?   The monochromatic color palette atop the wooden tray just WORKS for a guy!
via the LENOXX

If grasscloth wallpaper is in your budget, how great is this look below?  All of the textures in this room give it a masculine, yet slightly safari-esque vibe.  I think it's pretty incredible.



Love the crisp black and white duvet set, and the white hide on the dark wood floors.  The blogger where I found this pic described the look as "Urban Cowboy Cool" and I can see that!  But my brother's bed would NEVER go unmade like this... he's a total neat-freak! 
via LiveLikeYou


As much as I love 90% of what's going on in this room below, I really think the room could benefit from at least a litttttle bit of color?  Blues?  Green?  Red?  Anyone with me here?  But a great starting point for a man's living room!
via The Dapper Dude


And last but not least, I had to show another picture from Thom Filicia... Mainly so you can see how he uses his Emmy as a toilet paper holder.  Loveeeee it! 
via LoftLife Magazine

What do you think of the 'masculine' look of decorating?  Who are some of your favorite designers?

xoxo A

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At December 13, 2010 at 7:04 AM , Blogger things that sparkle said...

I love all of these rooms. I could live with one or two of these rooms, but having a full house would feel too dull to me, but with 2 boys it might be pretty perfect.

 
At December 13, 2010 at 7:15 AM , Blogger The Now said...

I totally agree with you Alex! I can't imagine living in a house without some pink =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home