This page has moved to a new address.

The Wallpaper Alternative

The Now: The Wallpaper Alternative

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Wallpaper Alternative

If you would have asked me 6 months ago, the words "wall stencil" would have evoked thoughts of ivy scrolls or other bad 90's decor.  However, with wallpaper being as popular as it is, stencil designers have stepped up their A-game to compete.  And thank goodness, because as we all know, wallpaper is EXPENSIVE, and sadly, it's not in my budget right now. 

While I'm very happy with my downstairs, right now I'm starting to think about decorating my very blah bedroom.  Since it's pretty large, wallpapering is DEF out of the question, so I'm thinking stenciling is the next best thing.  Sure, it will be laborious, but with my mom by my side, I think we can do it!

Here's some great inspiration... let me know what you guys like!

To me this screams Jonathan Adler... what do you think???



Yum!  Chevrons + light blue = a perfect wall!

via Caitlin Wilson Design

Now this is a strong graphic!  Maybe a little too bold for me, but I do like it.

via ApartmentTherapy

What a great way to accent the "above the mantle" space!

via Isabella and Max

This is one of my favorite examples of a stenciled wall... Here, blogger Ashley created this room for her daughter.  Isn't it just amazing? 

via The Domestic Wannabe



So if you're ready to take on a wall-stenciling project, here are some great resources I've found...


 Whitewall and Co. has some gorgeous modern stencils... PLUS they have a great tool where you can preview your stencil in a variety of pattern, wall and trim colors.  


Stencil patterns Mirium (left) and Morris Stevens (right)

Turkish Rose pattern


Cutting Edge Stencils has HUNDREDS of stencils to choose from.  Yes, some of them are a bit "tired," but there are certainly some great ones in the mix. 

 Missing Link Allover Stencil as seen on the 6th Street Design School Blog

via 6th Street Design School





 
via Future Domestic Goddess

So what's your opinion of stenciling a wall?  Would you go for it, or just save up for wallpaper???

xoxo A

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At December 14, 2010 at 2:46 PM , Blogger christine {bijouandboheme} said...

I'd be nervous about the whole thing so maybe I'd hire someone to do it and still save the difference between stencil and wallpaper cost. I think the Whitehall ones are amazingly gorgeous and they have such a fabulous selection. I say go for it- worse comes to worse, you could paint over it.
And PS, speaking of pretty things, I'm giving away some earrings from Biko that I think you'd love! xo

 
At December 14, 2010 at 3:51 PM , Blogger things that sparkle said...

I don't think I would ever take on this project, but the end result is so pretty

 
At December 14, 2010 at 7:21 PM , Blogger sarah, flourish design + style said...

I wish I had the patience :).. your picks are divine! xx

 
At December 15, 2010 at 9:30 AM , OpenID lisa-diwiner said...

I plan to stencil a wall one day as well. I'm in for helping if you need it!

 
At December 15, 2010 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Maija said...

I see other plans for January coming to a screeching halt! But I think we can do it - especially if we pick a stencil where the parts do not have to match up exactly - as Ashley did.

 
At December 15, 2010 at 12:02 PM , Blogger The Now said...

Lisa - I may take you up on your offer! I will owe you BIGTIME! xo Annie

 
At December 16, 2010 at 11:07 AM , Blogger Stencil Search said...

If you've ever stripped wallpaper, then you know the major advantage of stenciling over wallpaper isn't the cost. I'd choose stenciling.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home