This page has moved to a new address.

In the Mix..Mixing Prints 101

The Now: In the Mix..Mixing Prints 101

Monday, April 4, 2011

In the Mix..Mixing Prints 101

I  am a total scardey cat when it comes to mixing prints, but it is definitely one of my favorite looks. I have been so inspired by Spring and Fall '11 runway looks and would love to have more prints in my home so I am going to give it a try! There are just a few things we need to keep in mind before we start mixing it up....

Tip #1:Use Stripes as a neutral. Then you can pair it with just about any other print.





Interior Version:
Stripes+leopard+ a neutral Turkish rug= domestic bliss
Miles Redd room via fashionable interiors
Love this striped headboard with eye popping pillows
via southernexposure
Floral curtain with B&W striped rug..so CUTE!
Tip #2: Use the same print in different colors as seen in the Balenciaga and the Diane von Furstenberg looks.



Interior Version: Most printed interior fabrics will come in different colors like these amazing ones from Kelly Wearstler!


Tip #3: Make sure one color repeats itself within the patterns like black in the Dries look and maroon in the Peter Som ensemble.

Interior Version:

Rubie Green yellow bedding with yellow floral headboard
PS..I actually have the bedding...would die for the hb!

Blue is consistently used in the wallpaper, chair and curtains tying all the prints together
via Birdhouse Interiors

Kelly keeps it clean by using muted shades of purple, pink and red in this bedroom

xoxo E


Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At April 4, 2011 at 5:51 AM , Blogger things that sparkle said...

I love this in interiors but don't have the guts for it in fashion. Gorgeous images though, pushes me closer to considering it

 
At April 4, 2011 at 6:41 AM , Blogger christine {bijouandboheme} said...

Agree with Alex- all over it inside the home (especially when it involves leapard;) but a little more apprehensive with fashion- not sure why. I love the DKNY look with the black striped/floral sweater and leopard pants- again with the leopard:) Oh and I love the KW farbics/room/everything she does.

 
At April 4, 2011 at 7:37 AM , Blogger The enchanted home said...

Love the interiors but admittedly am not such a pioneer when it comes to going so bold. Do appreciate it when its well done as it is in these pictures!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 7:45 AM , Blogger The Now said...

I think this is great inspiration for all of us to be a little more bold with fashion (it's a no-brainer in the home). I'm going to give it a go with some looks this summer, eek! Thanks for the inspiration, E! xoxo A

 
At April 4, 2011 at 8:46 AM , Blogger Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

What a great post! I love the 'stripes as neutral' concept.

 
At April 4, 2011 at 9:30 AM , Blogger travelkate said...

I love the stripes as neutral look, I have definitely tried it, but not gone quite as bold as shown here! I am inspired by all of these looks, but need to get some guts to try them myself!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Lily said...

Love all the stripes and fun patterns for interiors.

xxLily
goldandgray.com

 
At April 4, 2011 at 5:07 PM , Blogger Danielle said...

i try it in my home, kinda. its a balance. i swear some people must think im just crazy

 
At April 5, 2011 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Great post, I love mixing patterns. It is kind of amazing how stripes can work as a neutral.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home