This page has moved to a new address.

NOLA in Ten...

The Now: NOLA in Ten...

Monday, April 25, 2011

NOLA in Ten...

As most of you know, I took a fabulous little weekend getaway to the Big Easy last weekend.  Sure, I had been there a few times before, but never like this.  I had plenty of exploring time just for myself, and I actually dedicated an entire day to getting lost and wandering around.  All I had with me was an iPhone camera, a few recommendations, and a little bit of spending money. 

In no particular order, here are my 10 Things I Love about New Orleans...

Felix's Restaurant & Oyster Bar
739 Iberville Street, New Orleans, LA 70130
Now this is one of those places that I have NO clue if it's touristy or a local favorite, but I stumbled upon Felix's and I'm in loooove.  I'm a huge raw oyster fan, and let's just say that this place did NOT disappoint!  You walk in and it's a no-frills place, with people lined up to the counter eating oysters directly off the bar.  Love it! 


Marion Cage
3719 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70115
I admit that I had never heard of Marion Cage before stumbling upon her quaint showroom on the famed Magazine Street, but I'm so glad I did.  I started chatting with the sweet, chic saleslady, and soon realized that it was Marion Cage herself with whom I was speaking!  When I mentioned that I was from Dallas, she said that I could find her collection at Forty Five Ten in Dallas.  Now if seeing her incredible jewelry wasn't enough, hearing that her pieces were in Forty Five Ten further conveyed exactly who was standing before me.  (Forty Five Ten is only THE most insane boutique in Dallas... it's really more of a curated museum of Derek Lam, Celine, Balenciaga, Alaia, etc.)  So you can see that Ms. Cage is in GOOD company, to say the least.  All that said, chatting with Ms. Cage in her fabulous showroom was incredible!


Sucre 
3025 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70115
E is actually the one who tipped me off on Sucre, as her parents brought her back macaroons from there once.  She promised me that they were the most delicious little treats she had ever had, and I'll just say that she was right!  Walking into Sucre is like stepping into a Parisian patisserie... it's adorable.  Oh, and PS,  the macaroons I had were covered in a very faint edible glitter.  Perfection.


Perch
2844 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70115
I didn't even have to walk into Perch, and I knew that I'd be blogging about it.  The exterior is To. Die. For.  It's an old little house with the most beautiful landscaping... and it has the prettiest aqua door & shutters.   Then I took one step inside and it just got better.  Perch is FILLED to the brim with a mélange of antiques, modern decor, fabulous fabrics, Venetian chandeliers, and more.  You simply have to see it to believe it!


Only in New Orleans
This isn't a person, place or thing, but I just LOVED walking through the residential blocks of Magazine Street and seeing the way people live.  There are rows and rows of gorgeous Southern homes, many fenced in by petite iron gates.  My favorite were the gates covered with Mardi Gras beads.  What fun! 


Source
2103 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA  70130
I LOVED this store.  It actually reminded me a lot of Blueprint in Dallas... as it combines a perfect mix of modern pieces with antiques dating back to the 18th century.  They have everything from furniture and art to little home accessories, and I did notice in the back that they offer design services.  I could EASILY outfit my entire home with goods from this fabulous store!


The NOLA Wedding
Talk about luck, but on my last morning in New Orleans, I was heading back from breakfast and heard a ton of commotion outside of a nearby hotel.  I ran down the block to see what was going on, and saw tons of feathered umbrellas bobbing up and down.  A band was playing, and people were marching down the street like a parade.  I finally asked a couple what was happening, and they mentioned that a wedding had just taken place!  I still need to do some more research to understand the tradition behind the umbrellas, but it was really incredible to watch! 


Agora Galleries
2240 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130
I stumbled upon Agora and found myself walking through a maze of about 20 different vendors within one roof.  Some vendors were more my style than others, but all were really cool to see.  I was INSTANTLY drawn to a booth in the back corner featuring the most fabulous Mid-century and Hollywood Regency finds.  The star of the show was an antique Chippendale sofa that had been newly upholstered, refurbished and painted, and was selling for about $1900.  The only problem was I didn't have a truck to get it to Dallas! 


Pat O'Briens
718 Saint Peter Street, New Orleans, LA 70116
There couldn't be a more obvious place to put on the list, but I just had to add it.  Carl and I couldn't leave New Orleans without a trip to Pat O's.  He drank one of their famous Hurricanes, and I opted for a more citrus-y Cyclone.  Pat O's is always good for drinks and people watching!


Lilette
3637 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70115
Did I save the best for last?  Quite possibly!  My lunch at Lilette was actually planned based on reviews I had read on Chowhound.  Since I was eating solo, I parked myself at the bar, and had the most fabulous little, err big, lunch ever!  My picks?  Grilled black drum with mixed green salad of hearts of palm and sugar snaps, with a tarragon orange grapefruit vinaigrette.  For dessert?  Their famous Nutella custard.  Heaven on Earth! 

Well, that's my vacay in review.  I hope you enjoyed my NOLA picks as much as I enjoyed experiencing them!

xoxo A

Labels:

8 Comments:

At April 25, 2011 at 8:00 AM , Blogger Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

Looks Amazing. I MUST get there. Can you believe I haven't been?!

 
At April 25, 2011 at 8:43 AM , Blogger ashley nicole catherine said...

love this!! i definitely want to make it out there and will be using your picks! sucre looks amaazing!

xo.ashley

 
At April 25, 2011 at 9:06 AM , Blogger travelkate said...

I want to go back right now to check out all of your amazing finds!

 
At April 25, 2011 at 9:29 AM , Blogger Bradley said...

Ohhhh my gosh! This is so wonderful! Like I told you before..I'm heading to NOLA (first time!) for my birthday in May. You better believe I am printing out this little post and packing it in my suitcase with me. Such great info! xo

 
At April 25, 2011 at 2:02 PM , Blogger Things That Sparkle said...

I've never been to NO but I desperately want to go now!! Sounds like an amazing weekend

 
At April 25, 2011 at 3:34 PM , Blogger christine {bijouandboheme} said...

I want to go, I want to go- Perch, Agora and Source- stunning and the food, delish!!!! So happy you had such a great trip! xoxo

 
At April 25, 2011 at 7:49 PM , Blogger ashlina {the decorista} said...

loving your blog. too cute.

 
At April 25, 2011 at 8:12 PM , Blogger Mackenzie {Design Darling} said...

Oh my gosh, what a trip! I'm dying to get down to New Orleans again as I haven't been since I was 10ish. Will keep your recommendations in mind! xoxoxo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home