This page has moved to a new address.

Wedding Wednesday

The Now: Wedding Wednesday

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wedding Wednesday

It's hard to believe that it's that time of the week again... Wedding Wednesday!  This week I've got bridesmaids dresses on the mind.  When you think "bridesmaids dress," what do you think of?  For me, just the thought of them evokes visions of taffeta gowns stuffed with yards of tulle.  However, I'm not sure why... I've been in lots of weddings and have honestly loved the dresses!  Still, my biggest fear is being a "blindsided bride" - aka - putting my besties in horrid dresses and me thinking they're the "cutest things ever!"

That's why I need your help!

But before we start, just a little 70's and 80's bridesmaids eyecandy.  I have a bad feeling that if I had been an 80's bride, my friends would be wearing those gold little numbers in the top middle photo!



Another personal favorite has to be the pastel tones in the bottom right.   This bride was ahead of her time with the "same similar dress, different color" look.  Do you think the girls all fought over who got to wear pink?

Okay let's get down to business.  As you may remember from the first Wedding Wednesday, here's a piece from my inspiration board... The original vision of what I dreamed of for bridesmaids dresses.


I think these gowns go beautifully with my color palette, don't you?

Well unfortunately the dresses above aren't exactly in the budget, so it's time to get creative, friends.

While I haven't tried their dresses on, I'm really setting my hopes high on Two Birds Bridesmaids.  They are the makers of a convertible wrap dress that comes in different lengths and colors, and that can be worn 15 different ways.  My initial fear was that the look wouldn't be dressy enough for the vibe I'm going for, but I'm now thinking they could do the trick.  Here are the colors and wrapping styles:




So let's say that I went with one color (I'll try Slate)... tell me what you think:



Okay, now let's see if I can attempt to rock the Vanity Fair look...



I'm kinda bummed that they don't have a pale blue and a pale pink, but maybe I could find another company that makes them (they're all over Etsy).

One of my bridesmaids, Emily, is going to a store in Austin today to try the dress on, and I'm excited to hear what her in-person assessment of the dress is.  Do let me know if you've ever seen one in person!  I'm anxious to hear if the fabric ends up looking cheapo / too casual when up close.

Another thought is to do all chiffon gowns in a variety of colors.  Here's a grouping I put together from the Dessy Collection...




Note: Ideally I'd have more varying necklines than 5 strapless and 1 one-shouldered.  But you get the picture.  So, does this look too random?  Don't lie to me, friends!

Update:  The darling Ashley from Ashley Nicole Catherine just sent me this fabulous inspiration photo:

via twirlboutique.com
 
Cute, no?

Let me know what you think of the different looks.  And know that regardless of the dress I choose, I PROMISE not to tell my bridesmaids,



... because I know that no matter WHAT the dress looks like, they never will!

xoxo A

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At April 6, 2011 at 7:08 AM , Blogger Stephee Tee Stuff said...

Oh hi Annie! It's Steph, one of your bridesmaids. I LOVE option 1 and think it will look so pretty in pictures!

 
At April 6, 2011 at 7:33 AM , Blogger ashley @ ashleynicolecatherine said...

eee yay so fun! ok first off, you're awesome for putting so much thought into this! your maids will love you. i lovelove that vanity fair spread as inspiration. i would say don't be afraid to mix and match designers. maybe two birds, jcrew, jenny yoo... as long as the fabric is the same i think you can experiment with different labels! here is a beautiful real wedding with the look you're going for: http://www.twirlboutique.com/blog/2010/09/29/wedding-in-santa-monica/.

xo.ashley

 
At April 6, 2011 at 7:34 AM , Blogger travelkate said...

Picking a bridesmaid dress had to be the hands down hardest decision at my wedding! My friend wore a Two Brides Bridesmaid dress in a wedding and loved it, but I never got to see it in person!

 
At April 6, 2011 at 8:44 AM , Blogger The Now said...

oh hey! it's E and I am a BM with Steph. I love 1 but I also really love 3!!!
It may be difficult to pull off so 1 would be safer fo sure! xoxo

 
At April 6, 2011 at 8:46 AM , Blogger The Now said...

and I agree with Kate! it was THE hardest part of the wedding decision making

 
At April 6, 2011 at 8:54 AM , Blogger The Now said...

Annie here... Thanks for your feedback!!! I guess part of me fears that attempting the different color dresses will someday look like the bottom right picture from my 70's - 80's bridesmaids montage at the beginning of the post! Thoughts? Maybe Option 1 IS the best option!

 
At April 6, 2011 at 9:05 AM , Blogger Kaylen Meserve said...

I am a bridesmaid too and I love 1. I love that slate color but also might be fun in a pastel? Now how to choose who wears what style!

 
At April 6, 2011 at 9:40 AM , Blogger Emily said...

Hi! It's Emily reporting back from the dress trying mission... the Two Birds dress is amazing! Very easy to wear and flattering- the fabric is a pretty substantial jersey, so I don't think it will read too casual. You've got great options, whatever you decide on :)

 
At April 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM , Blogger Mandy said...

Haha such a cute post!! I really like the chiffon, but I see what your saying about the neckline. Option 2 is also equally fabulous! My vote goes to the different color dresses for each girl. Can't wait to see what you decide.

xoxo
Mandy

 
At April 6, 2011 at 3:09 PM , Blogger Bradley said...

I had never heard of Two Birds! What a cool idea! I think I am going with option 1!

 
At April 7, 2011 at 7:44 AM , Blogger Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

I love the idea of doing different colours and I like the styles of the first set of dresses better. You can always consider buying the fabric and getting a seamstress to make the dresses for you.

 
At April 7, 2011 at 9:48 AM , Blogger courtney said...

I like option 2 with the different necklines and the different colors! fun idea!

 
At April 7, 2011 at 10:59 AM , Blogger things that sparkle said...

I'm so boring but I like option 1 best. I think for a formal event similarity is key... So boring I know! I love Jenny Yoo and Amsale bridesmaid dresses too.

 
At April 8, 2011 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Wallpaper said...

I love the idea of doing same colour dresses in different styles like your first example (slate dresses) I think it looks more co-hesive then a bunch of different chiffon dresses...but I am sure whatever your pick will look amazing!

BTW- so right about cutting it short and wearing it again, that never happens, I am in 2 weddings already this year and I plan on donating my dresses after the wedding are done! ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home