This page has moved to a new address.

Designer Sketches benefitting the NYC Opera

The Now: Designer Sketches benefitting the NYC Opera

Friday, May 20, 2011

Designer Sketches benefitting the NYC Opera

Happy Friday, Friends!

Here's a little something different to kick off your weekend...

This year, designers including Derek Som, Narciso Rodriguez and Carolina Herrera drew sketches of their fantasy costumes from their favorite opera.  Bidders could purchase the sketches with proceeds benefitting the design of actual costumes for the New York City Opera.

While I'm personally not an opera fan (or maybe I am, but I can't say that I've ever seen one?), I can't get over how gorgeous these sketches are!  And isn't it fun seeing the artistic talent of fashion designers expressed on paper?

I'm personally smitten with Nanette Lepore's Pamina and Christian Siriano's Turandot... but I'd actually love them all to group in a collection on the wall.  Wouldn't that be AMAZ???

































Which are your favorites??  And I'm dying to know if anyone has seen any of these operas!!

xoxo A

images via The Cut

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At May 20, 2011 at 7:50 AM , Blogger Things That Sparkle said...

I am weird, but I actually really love the opera. Madame Butterfly and the Magic Flute are some of my favorites! But I can't even decide which is my favorite sketch because they are all so different. So freaking gorg!

 
At May 20, 2011 at 8:48 AM , Blogger Jess @ House Sweet Home said...

Oh, so beautiful! I love Nicole Miller's Turnadot. I could really see that in my home! Can you please post or email a link where we can purchase?

 
At May 20, 2011 at 9:13 AM , Blogger The Now said...

Hi Jess! You actually can't purchase the sketches (unless they reproduce them as prints)... the originals went up for auction to raise money for the opera. I will see if I can find out any more details about possible reproductions! xo

 
At May 20, 2011 at 10:01 AM , Blogger travelkate said...

They are all so beautiful! I definitely could not pick a favorite!

 
At May 20, 2011 at 11:04 AM , Blogger christine {bijouandboheme} said...

I am so obsessed with fashion illustration and these are utterly divine- I love the romantisism of the last one...all of them are stunning!!!

 
At May 20, 2011 at 12:46 PM , Blogger ashley nicole catherine said...

so amazing! love your picks, plus gilles mendel's. DEEvine.

xo.ashley

 
At May 20, 2011 at 12:52 PM , Blogger Belly B said...

I've always loved designer sketches since I saw 101 Dalmations and Cruella Devil had those amazing sketches. Hahah ironic, but designer sketches are so pretty!


<3 Belly B

 
At May 20, 2011 at 3:21 PM , Blogger Mackenzie {Design Darling} said...

How fabulous! I so wish I could draw/paint/do anything remotely artistic. Thank you for your sweet comment today and have a wonderful weekend! xoxoxo

 
At May 20, 2011 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Danielle said...

erin fetherston's looks like her

 
At May 21, 2011 at 7:08 PM , Blogger designchic said...

These are wonderful...would be perfect in a dressing room - so wish I had one!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home