This page has moved to a new address.

Office Space

The Now: Office Space

Monday, May 16, 2011

Office Space

Good morning everyone!

Well, today I'm being super vulnerable with all of you and am letting you into my world of unfinished decor.  (cue scary music)  I think most of you have seen my finished downstairs by now, but I actually have quite a few unfinished rooms left in my house:


  • Master bedroom & closet
  • Guest bedroom & bath
  • Office

I've actually spent a little bit of time and money on each of these rooms, which I think has been a mistake.  Looking back, I should have completely abandoned each room until I could have gone all-out with a real plan.  Hindsight's 20/20, right?  

Well, let's start fresh by looking at my office, since that's the room that Carl and I spend most of our time in.  I had big dreams for this space when I first bought my house solo.  It was going to be an uber-girly office / art space.  Well, I grew up (and am so thankful I did) and now I'm sharing this office with a lawyer, so I need to make the space fit two.  Luckily he's not picky about much, as long as he has a place for some books and his computer.  

Well, I really pigeon-holed myself when I first moved in by installing an Ikea Billy Bookshelf system.  Now I have this massive thing adhered to my wall, but hey, I'll work with it for the time being.  One Ikea purchase that has worked out REALLY well are the desks.  I went with the Ikea Melltorp kitchen tables, and I absolutely LOVE them as desks.   Plus, they are super cheap - I think around $70.

There are still quite a few more projects I have left to do, but I just wanted to give you a sneak peak about my progress-to-date! 

Next up on the checklist: 
  • A coffee table / footstools for the loveseat (Moroccan poufs, perhaps?)
  • New TV area solution 
  • Paint walls? 
  • Window treatments
  • Fun lighting vs Fugly ceiling fan
  • Rug (zebra hide went to another room)
  • De-clutter bookshelves
  • Etc.





Let me know if you have ANY suggestions!


xoxo, A

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At May 16, 2011 at 7:32 AM , Blogger carolyn said...

I LOVE this post, annie! in my opinion it's so much more fun to see the works in progress and all the great ideas floating around instead of perfectly polished rooms all the time! i feel the same way--buying mediocre band-aid pieces and kicking myself later. oh, well. i can't wait to see how it all turns out!
xo
p.s. hi little blog! :)

 
At May 16, 2011 at 8:18 AM , Blogger travelkate said...

Can't wait to see the progress! I think your ideas sound great! I am trying to figure out my office space as well, so I can definitely relate :)

 
At May 16, 2011 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Things That Sparkle said...

Ok I love this post!!! So fun seeing more peeks into your gorgeous home. Love your vintage settee. I think the space looks amazing considering its got to house 2 working people, its perfect! Can't wait to see the rest of your progress

 
At May 16, 2011 at 9:36 AM , Blogger MOD FOX STYLE said...

I think it looks pretty darn amazing for not being "done". You should check out World Market for fabric poufs...they have really cute ones right now for super cheap!

A

 
At May 16, 2011 at 9:37 AM , Blogger Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

I think it's looking great! Here's my tip for the bookcases (I have a wall of billy bookcases in my own home...) If you arrange things more symmetrically on either side of the middle section it will look less cluttered... like try repeating the green boxes and white files on both sides and see how it looks.

 
At May 16, 2011 at 10:49 AM , Blogger Bradley said...

I see Luella & June on that screen! Thanks! I actually just got that exact computer screen for MY birthday! woohoo!!! I am in the process of trying to do the same thing you are.

 
At May 16, 2011 at 11:50 AM , OpenID vmacandcheese.com said...

I actually think you're lookin pretty good in there! I agree on bringing window treatments and a rug into the space. Something large and colorful would give a lot of visual texture. Also, what about doing an inlay on the Billy cabinet doors in some kind of fabric or pretty paper? You could paint some poly over it for a nice shine... Or even use paint and some tape to add fret work to the borders. Or, for something simpler, just add fun knobs to the bookcase doors!

 
At May 16, 2011 at 11:56 AM , Blogger Lily said...

You have such a great space to work with. I love the desks and the vintage sofa...moroccan pouf footstools would look great ! Cannot wait to see it when its all done.

xxLily
goldandgray.com

 
At May 16, 2011 at 5:01 PM , Blogger Danielle said...

love the idea of poofs! and it looks so great

HII blog!

 
At May 17, 2011 at 6:41 AM , Blogger sensiblyluxe said...

I think what you have going on in the office so far looks great! Good luck with the redecorating.

 
At May 26, 2011 at 10:29 AM , Blogger Amber Interiors said...

My computer constantly looks the same.....with motly those same exact blogs up as well. Just found you through Things That Sparkle. Love Alex! Nice to have found you both!
xoxo
www.amberinteriordesign.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home