This page has moved to a new address.

Stylish Steal: Upholstered Beds

The Now: Stylish Steal: Upholstered Beds

Friday, June 24, 2011

Stylish Steal: Upholstered Beds

I've recently been on the hunt for bedroom inspiration.  That's one of rooms in my house I haven't tackled, and now that I'm about to get married, I think it's time to splurge on a king-sized bed.  But of course, splurge is a relative term, and I'm really not looking to spend THAT much money on new furniture.

While searching around the internet for deals, I came across a company called Skyline Furniture.  Apparently, many mass-merchandisers (Target, Urban Outfitters, Garnet Hill, etc.) are actually vendors of this company. Skyline products can only be found online, and they can all be ordered in a variety of upholstery patterns and colors.



My take on it??  I've read as many reviews as I can get my hands on, and all-in-all, the results have been pretty favorable.  The author of Effortless Style blog claims that Skyline is one of her biggest interior design secrets, but warns of its required assembly (which she claims is pretty easy), and the fact that there are small seams in the corners where the head/foot and sideboards meet.  Doesn't seem to be a problem to me.

And their prices CANNOT be beat.  The tufted wingback bed in velvet buckwheat (the top left picture) is only $678 (King sized!).  And that is literally the most expensive product they make that I can find.

My only concern is quality.  I wonder how the material actually feels?  Is your master bed a place where you'd take a risk like this, or would you splurge a little more for a "safer" option?

Let me know your thoughts!

xoxo A

image via Effortless Style.com and Shelter Pop

8 Comments:

At June 24, 2011 at 5:58 AM , Blogger Haley said...

My opinion is that a headboard is not going to take such a beating that you need to invest lots of money in high quality like you do for a sofa or dining table. I think looks are most important, and unless the fabric is thin and scratchy, you're probably ok.

Also check out Kmart, believe it or not. They make some copycat pieces that look almost just like Crate and Barrel beds for around $750.

 
At June 24, 2011 at 6:00 AM , Blogger Things That Sparkle said...

I think if you are looking for a long term solution, you are better off finding a really reasonable upholsterer and doing something custom. My mom just had a bed made for her by my upholsterer that ended up costing $700 and its absolutely gorgeous, top of the line. But if you are looking for a quick fix, something for a couple years, these seem like amazing options. And by the way, thank you for the introduction!!!

 
At June 24, 2011 at 6:00 AM , Blogger christine {bijouandboheme} said...

I totally would go this route and I love that wingback bed like crazy! I'd be more worried about buying a good mattress- I think it's pretty hard to damage a bedframe etc...these are fabulous and such a deal!!!

 
At June 24, 2011 at 6:19 AM , Blogger Cara said...

I adore the wingback one! go for it!

 
At June 24, 2011 at 8:28 AM , Blogger ashley nicole catherine said...

omg i heart you! i have been POURING over upholstered bed options for weeks, but couldn't find any ones that were reasonably priced!! going to check out their site now!

xo.ashley

 
At June 24, 2011 at 8:48 AM , Blogger Three Sisters said...

I just bought one from JCP for my guest bedroom! It's all in the linens, Annie. You should see what I inherited from my husband who refused to get rid of his wood and leather bed (sounds awful, I know). Pretty linens make every bed luxurious and fabulous! Cheers! Ana

 
At June 24, 2011 at 10:21 AM , Blogger Elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Ooh, thanks for the great resource! I have a client looking for an upholstered headboard. I would definitely consider going this route if I needed a new bed. Love, Love, Love the wingback and the cream rectangular headboard with nail head trim.

 
At June 24, 2011 at 6:11 PM , Blogger Danielle said...

I think Camilla said the quality was great but you have to put them together which is lame o. but they are lovely

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home