This page has moved to a new address.

Design Emergency: Annie's Office

The Now: Design Emergency: Annie's Office

Monday, December 12, 2011

Design Emergency: Annie's Office

Happy Monday, Friends!

Well, now that my wedding has passed, it's time to take care of my untouched to-do list.  First order of business.. decorate my sad, sad office at work.  I work for one of the most fun and creative companies in the world - Southwest Airlines - and it's pretty embarrassing that my office looks like THIS...

(Please note, I am baring my soul to you here)


Needless to say, I'm working on a plan to turn this hellhole into "design blogger meets Corporate America."  Since this isn't my MY office, I'm limited in what I can do.... No painting the walls or removing the office furniture.  Another catch?  I need to keep this project under $1,000.  Way under if possible.

Do you think I can do it?  Here's the plan that E and I have come up with:

Shelving Unit
I had the option of ordering a free bookshelf to match my desk, but I graciously declined.  No more brown furniture, please.  I had planned on one or two Ikea LACK bookshelves, but WTF - they're discontinued?  These things are a staple in the design world... you can't even search through Pinterest for 10 minutes without encountering a glorious "can you believe this is a LACK" photo?  After shedding a few tears, I had to find Plan B.  A slightly more pricey version from Home Decorators...





Gallery Wall
I have long-admired gallery walls... but have never been brave enough to put one together.  I feel like this will be a great way to collect inexpensive art and make it into a very Kate Spade Pop-Up House-esque collection.  This will likely go on the back wall, facing you as you enter the office.
Here's my inspiration: 




Clipboard Art
I'm sure we've all seen this photo before, but E suggested it for my office.  LOVE IT.  My one question for each of you... Since I won't be putting fabric swatches and paint sample cards on my boards (remember, CORPORATE), do we still think it can be cute?  There's definitely a lot of "flair" around Southwest that I could use to spice the clipboards up (vs. my PowerPoint presentations). 

Bulletin Board
I have been drooling over these bulletin boards for ages... They are by LG Custom Accessories, and have been featured on One Kings Lane.  I absolutely love the version using rafia as the "cloth" and then either framed in black or gold.  And I'll have my monogram (vs. "Annie") embroidered... but I'm not sure about the color yet. What do you guys like?




Ghost Chairs
I just had a great comment from Meredith suggesting I do something to enhance the existing blue chairs.  I forgot to mention that I am going to bring in 2 faux Ghost Chairs - probably in the smoke color (I think clear would get lost in this white space).





Well, that's the plan.  Let me know if you have ANY opinions or other suggestions!

xoxo A

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At December 12, 2011 at 5:53 AM , Blogger Meredith said...

What about some colorful patterned pillows on the chair? Anything to make that space more bright and whimsical. You could put a table runner on the back area of the desk and a cute lamp would be nice too. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

 
At December 12, 2011 at 6:17 AM , Blogger The Now said...

Thanks for the great advice, Meredith! I forgot to mention that I am going to add in 2 ghost chairs instead of the existing blue ones (that's one thing I can remove)! xo Annie

 
At December 12, 2011 at 6:45 AM , Blogger christine {bijouandboheme} said...

I say you definitely do a bookcase - maybe a gold etager? I'd add in large pieces of artwork, rather than a gallery wall just so it looks uncluttered. Then, maybe a little lamp goodness...and perhaps a hide on the floor- oh and a leaning mirror somewhere to amp up the girliness. I can't wait to see what you do- quite sure it will be VERY fabulous!

 
At December 12, 2011 at 6:48 AM , Blogger Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

I ditto EVERYTHING Christine says, I think it will be amazing!!!

 
At December 12, 2011 at 9:30 AM , OpenID vmacandcheese.com said...

I was going to say a rug, lots of lighting that DOESN'T come from the overhead fixture, and also a large leaning mirror, but Christine beat me to it! Listen to everything she says -- she's obviously a genius.

 
At December 12, 2011 at 8:45 PM , Blogger Danielle said...

it will look fab!!! cant wait to see pics! im about to do my new place all snazzy so I love seeing inspiration

 
At December 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM , Blogger Haley said...

I'm sure that will look great! I have some friends at SWA, so I bet we have some mutual contacts. Small world!

You can also get around the no painting rule by finding some fabric and affixing it to the wall with spray starch and then a few tacks up at the top and in the corners. It will peel right off, and could look neat on the wall behind your back. You could even get fancy and do a print!

Haley @ Cardigan Junkie

 
At December 14, 2011 at 6:57 AM , Blogger Julia - the Urban Slant said...

Great ideas!! I agree wit Christine -- maybe just add a giant piece of beautiful art! Can't wait to see the results!

 
At December 16, 2011 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Rai @ Raiana S. Design said...

I know....I can't wrap my head around why they would discontinue it...i searched for days online thinking i suddenly became blind. serious stupidity? I just don't get it...Anyone have any intel as to why IKEA would get rid of one of their best pieces???

Rai xo
http://raianashanesedesigns.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home