This page has moved to a new address.

Gallery Wall-A-Phobic

The Now: Gallery Wall-A-Phobic

Friday, July 27, 2012

Gallery Wall-A-Phobic

I have many phobias....bugs, heights, monsters...but one of my biggest fears is creating a gallery wall in my house. Last night I tried to start a small art wall on the new B& W walls and I pretty much had a nervous breakdown. My palms got all sweaty and I was dizzy...Whyyyy is it so hard for me? For a second, I thought that maybe it was the stripes that were throwing me off, but as I was pacing back and forth through my house, I noticed my office "gallery wall" I started a year ago and never finished. I literally have had two things hanging randomly above my computer for a year. It's maddening!! Now I know there is an easy solution to this...don't do a gallery wall...but I want one. I am going to make this happen so I looked for some inspiration...maybe this will inspire you too!!

ahhh so calming and orderly

ok...my heart is beating a little faster, but I love the way these look

I am in full on panic mode even thinking about attempting this. And wait one damn minute..is there any order to how these were hung? Nothing is hung symmetrically!
Tips I've gathered:

  • Take a Xanax {This is more for me than you}
  • If your art varies in size, start with the largest pieces and work your way out
  • Try to keep frames in the same color.. obviously from these pictures, there are exceptions to this
  • Genius Tip #1: Lay out your frames on the floor first to get the desired look
  • Genius Tip #2: Trace and cut out shapes of your frames, poke holes where the nails are to go and tape it up to the wall see example here

Now for any experts out there please answer this question. In some of these galleries, the pictures are lined up directly in line with the one next to it, but then others are hung randomly. Is there some science to this that I don't know? Anyone is free to chime in here!

Images via: Be Mine Interior Design Lonny Gary Spain Domino {bedroom, dining room & srtiped wall} 

xo e

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At July 27, 2012 at 5:41 AM , Blogger Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

I'm actually meeting with a client this morning to hang a gallery wall for her. I dont really know the "key" to a good one though... I'll let you know how this one goes.

 
At July 27, 2012 at 6:32 AM , Blogger Danielle said...

haha re #1.

i actully JUST hung mine two weeks ago..i did a baby one. i recommend baby steps.

 
At July 27, 2012 at 6:38 AM , Blogger ashley nicole catherine said...

you're not alone - i find it totally overwhelming. we only have three frames up on the wall right now and j did it with a measuring tape and level. but i know at this point, i'm only comfortable with frames in the same color family. good luck!!

 
At July 27, 2012 at 8:29 AM , Blogger Taylor said...

tip #1 take a xanax.... tip #2.... start drinking heavily on said xanax and see where the gallery wall takes you from there .... tip #3.... once you are drugged and intoxicated, you will LOVE your damn gallery wall and think you are a genius.

http://itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com/

 
At July 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

A gallery wall is on my list to do after I finish redoing an old vanity ... I'm loving the look of two and three but that may be too aggressive for my skill level!
Good luck!

 
At July 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM , Blogger Rachael {all things beautiful} said...

Haha, I can totally relate to this!! I get anxiety over them too but LOVE the look of them. I can't wait to see what you come up with if you give it a 'go'. Good luck and I agree with Taylor.. take the xanax and follow it up with some cocktails! You'll be fearless :)

Check out my Fab Friday Beauty Tip if you get some time today!! Happy Friday!

xoxo

 
At July 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM , Blogger Elizabeth {Ms Classic Glamour} said...

Yeah, I understand completely. Looks like you have to be a master to make some of these "galleries".
But the look of them is gorgeous!
Have a wonderful weekend, Elizabeth!
xoxo

 
At July 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Natalie said...

I totally have gallery-wall anxiety too -- I keep putting it off because I'm afraid it's going to suck. Love your inspiration photos and tips!

 
At July 27, 2012 at 12:47 PM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

I have a similar issue. I love what other people do, but hate how I do it! I think I'm going to have to hire someone to decorate my house. Also- too funny on the little mix up last night. Glad you like the post, though!

Cheers, Elizabeth of The Corner Apartment

 
At July 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM , Blogger Jen of MadeByGirl said...

i agree with all your tips, too funny about the xanax!

Madebygirl.blogspot.com
MadeByGirl.com

 
At July 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM , Blogger Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

I'm planning on doing this in my living room, definitely laying it out on the floor first ;)

 
At July 27, 2012 at 2:52 PM , Blogger jeanine said...

I just got off the phone with Yahoo and they were super unhelpful {this is an understatement} so I channeled my anger into some, hopefully, helpful tips for you.

This place sells kits: http://thepicturewallcompany.com/endless.html and if you want to use your own frames, you can use them for more inspiration. They are very regular so you won't find something that looked like you just effortlessly threw it up there on this site.

If you already have frames you want to use, I would suggest using pieces of paper cut to those sizes and taping them up like in your link. You can put them where you think you want them and live with it for a few weeks or months if you need to and move them around until they are perfect. Just use a tape that will come off easily like drafting tape or painters tape {which you probably already have from painting the stripes}. Don't even think about the nail step until you are sure you want to put a hole in the wall.

If you can use photoshop, Sketchup or illstrator you can also make a mockup and move it around until you are happy. I wish you lived closer, back when I worked in retail I was in charge of putting together and maintaining the gallery wall of frames/mirrors/artwork.

Also, if you look at the examples of the advanced walls you posted, there is a regular distance of a few inches in between all the frames at their closest point. Even around the round mirror, this distance is maintained. It sometimes is a bit wider where the frames aren't the same shape or size, but things never get closer than what looks like 2 or 3 inches, I used to use about 2 but it depends on what you are hanging.

I'm off to find tequila {my xanax} to cool off a bit more, have a great weekend! :) You can email me if you have more questions. Whatever you do, it will look great!

 
At July 27, 2012 at 3:13 PM , Blogger The Now said...

wow!!! THANKS for all your helpful tips..will you just come over??? haha! Hope your email sitch gets figured out! xo

 
At July 29, 2012 at 3:32 PM , Blogger Anna Williams said...

That last gallery wall from Domino is one of my all time favourites. I always spend ages arranging it on the floor and just kind of eye it when hanging on the wall. I think one of the most important tips, no matter your arrangement style, is to make sure the pictures are hung straight by using a level!! Love your blog xx

Anna (My Design Ethos)

 
At July 29, 2012 at 7:29 PM , Blogger Bud and Leo said...

hahaahahh I am totally with you- there is no way that I can even think about attempting this! Maj props to you and can't wait to see how it looks!!!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 4:28 AM , Blogger Julie and Lauren said...

Literally love this!! Totally using this how-to. Xo

 
At July 30, 2012 at 8:33 AM , Blogger navy and orange said...

love the "advanced"!

xoxo navy & orange

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home